Monday, November 14, 2011

Way back when 2

I think anytime someone is in a relationship at the ages of 18-19 there is bound to be some drama. On top hormones, stress of school and family obligations you're cruising through waters of uncharted territory where the deep sea creatures 'Jealousy' and 'Insecurity' threaten to overtake you at every turn.

MOTHER OF GOD. WHAT IS THAT?!
LOOK OUT! Jealousy is about to make you do something WAY stupid!

 Remember, dear reader,  the first two years of mine and Chris' relationship were 'long distance.' We went to separate colleges, and saw each other only on the weekends. This was the time of no facebook, blogger, or even myspace. We only communicated via phone and email (*gasp* Oh the horror! The inhumanity of it all!). Actually this is a good thing because, let's face it, if Chris had a facebook page I totally would have stalked him constantly, and questioned his every 'friend acceptance.'

 Chris and I were not immune to petty arguments early in our relationship. I recall, all too well, storming out of a party and sitting across the street at the post office waiting for a ride, all the while being a huge baby and refusing to go back into the party--I think I even folded my arms across my chest and huffed a "NO!" (I made that sentence mauve to represent my embarrassment and shame at my extreme dramatics). 

Either I was too flirty with someone else, or he wasn't paying me enough attention.The problem was (and is) we're both extremely passionate people, sprinkle in some stubbornness and add a dash of audacity and you've got a lethal combination.....All we knew was we had something special and neither of us was going anywhere anytime soon.

I mean, really, look at the guy: would you?!

That Elvis lip KILLS me!   I should add that his sweet hair-doo is achieved through tubing all day at the lake. YOU might be able to achieve it if you stick your wet head out the car window while driving at high speeds.... Although, I don't really recommend it.

Since I got to make Chris look goofy last Monday with his odd love proclamation, I now hold the mirror up to myself......

At a party, freshman year of college. I sneakily looked through Chris' phone contacts and found the name: "Anna." I'm sure you can imagine my extreme panic and anger at the sight of this foreign name in his phone (The guy just told me he "loved me....maybe" about 2 months before).  
 Who was this floozy Anna? What sleazy bar did they meet at? What kind of nefarious activities were they taking part in? How long was this going on? WHAT A JERK!


So I did what any smart, capable, clever, mature 18 year old woman would do: I refused to talk to him with no explanation as to my sudden mood change.

I decided I needed to get out of there and walk to a friends house down the road with another gal pal when Chris yelled at me walking down the street:

 "JESSICA! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"
"DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!"
"WHAT?!"
"DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! GO CALL ANNA!"
"WHO?"
"ANNA! GO CALL ANNA!"
"AMANDA?! MY SISTER?!"
at this point I turned around and keep walking, while mumbling: "Yeah go call your sister, ya big idiot."
and I hear him get asked: "what is she doing?" to which Chris responds: "I don't know. She's lost her damn mind."

Finally, an hour or so later, I cool off, my hormones subside and my brain finally turns on and I say to Chris:
"Can I ask you a question?"
"Of course, baby"
"Whose Anna?"
"Anna? You mean my Aunt Anna  from Kansas City?"
"uhhhh......" 


At that point the only thing that could sum up my extreme embarrassment and shame is this pup: 
I'm Sowee!!

 That day I learned my lesson: If you ever go through your boyfriend's phone (or email, or facebook) and see an unfamiliar name, don't panic yet.....
The fabulous Anna with my equally fabulous sister-in-law, Amanda.

.... and do a bit more detective work before you freakout- after all it's probably just "Aunt Anna" :

No comments:

Post a Comment