Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I think I may be emotionally ready now...

A few weeks ago I went with my brother Andrew and my mom to his senior picture session. I was just a wee-lass of 10 when my baby brother was born. Instantly, I adored him. He was my baby doll, and I carted him around EVERYWHERE. So it really blew my mind that I was watching him get HIS senior pictures because I totally remember getting mine taken:
No big deal.

Each year of Andrew's high school years he's taken a STUPID yearbook photo. Seriously. Either his hair is in an angry comb-over or he's making an idiotic face on purpose. I don't even have one to show you because my mom has hidden them all. So the deal was Andrew could take his Senior yearbook photo HOWEVER he wanted (a mustache is involved) as long as he swore to take good senior pics. I am pleased to say he stayed true to his word, even though his 'big-ness' made me sad. Why? Well.....

.......It's hard to go from hanging out and knowing this little dude's face so well: 

to this: 

WHO ARE YOU?!

And from this: 

To this: 
Where is my smooshy faced baby?!

After awhile I did come to grips with the fact that this model session was happenin' with or without me, so I did what I do best: Be bossy. I declared myself Andrew's stylist and 'pose-instructor.' I even offered to take control of the camera for the photographer....I see now it's for the best he declined my offer....whatever.

I consider myself the family historian and I made sure to take plenty of 'behind the scenes' shots. Let me tell you, I got some good ones!

His face says: "Don't bother me! I'm modeling my face off!"


This next look says: "It's sexier with your hands in your pockets. Trust me, I'm a model."



The thing about Andrew is he's really really really serious. So in addition to being his stylist/modeling coach, I had to keep him laughing and loose: 
Oh you know how that one time I said Andrew was super serious? Yeah, that was a total and complete lie, the guy needs zero help in that department:
Right before I snapped this, he literally said: "Hey Jess, what if I took my senior pictures like THIS"

What's amazing about being close with someone from the day they were born is you get to see all their quirks, picadillos and personality traits emerge as they grow. So the kid who does this:




really did come by it honestly: 
Hey what are big brother's for?

and even though my little smoosh face grew from this: 

into this:

and sometimes it makes me extremely sad that he is becoming a grown up with a grown up job and grown up responsibilities, I can at least take comfort in the fact that......

........we'll always have this:


Senior yearbook picture, 2011-12.
So proud.



2 comments: