Monday, October 17, 2011

What's a war eagle?


I went to the War Eagle Fair with my best friend, Jana, this weekend. What's a war eagle you ask? No idea. I do recall passing through the living room while Chris was watching ESPN, and hearing something about Auburn's football fans shouting "war eagle" which makes ZERO sense to me because their mascot is a tiger.

When I think "war eagle" I literally picture an eagle with Roman battle armor. You know with the red feathered helmet thing?? How sweet would that be? You could train him to battle other birds and give him a shield and his own sword, but wait... how would he hold the sword? Maybe his talons could act as a sword? Yes! Then you could train him to use his beak as a batt- ....oops sorry, I was distracted by the endless possibilities of owning my own war eagle.

Maybe the eagle is just extremely patriotic?

AMERICA.


 I only have one more question about War Eagles. Well two questions really, First: Where can I purchase one for my own enjoyment and Second: 

Where is THIS guy's Super Hero movie?? 
Move over Spider-man! Your tingly spidey-sense is no match for "THE WAR EAGLE"!!

After researching War Eagle and figuring out that the War Eagle Fair has NOTHING to with Eagles competing in a gladiator style tournament you can imagine my disappointment. 

I did find this sweet gem of a photo on the outdated, possibly from 1982, website:

Nice Jacket.

My mom, being the artistic soul that she is, used to sell her arts/crafts at fairs just like this. She even sold in stores in Southern California, and was extremely popular. Unfortunately, this meant that our house was over taken by wood pieces waiting to be painted, puffy snowmen, paper mache, handmade dolls with buttons for legs, and endless amount of paint. I do credit the majority of my artistic ability to my mom. 
 
However, it made me a art/craft snob. Now everytime I see something in that style, I immediately say: "I could make that." I could too. That being said, I was supremely suprised at the variety of vendors at War Eagle Fair. They were diverse and even caught me off-guard at times.


One lady made all these beautiful birdhouses. What made them special was the materials to make these unique beauties. It was all from wreckage from the Joplin tornado. Being from Joplin, that made them all the more meaningful.  This came from 2 sister's houses on Kentucky.

                             These came from a barn that was first to be hit by that bitch tornado.

There was also cool metal art: 
                                 Can't you see my war eagle resting atop this giant metal flower??

When Chris was younger and had to mow a huge lawn he always promised himself he would have astro turf in his yard when he was a "grown-up" .....maybe I could stick these flowers in and not have to worry about weeds?

There were also dogs in strollers there.....
This is Dolly. No, she is not for sale. I would try to buy her, but my war eagle might eat her.

These dolls caught my eye, they were a crowd favorite.
Can you imagine Layla with these in my house?? *Shudder*

Even though I was severely disappointed that my fantasy version of War Eagle wasn't going to come true,  I still got to spend the day outside chillin' with the gal that knows me best:

Jana is holding a turkey leg. Yes, she did eat every last bit. She's weird. I opted for an over-sized philly cheese-steak and I did NOT eat all of it.....

Ok fine. Yes I did.

There was one final thing that caught my attention. Caught me so off-guard that I stopped and stared with my mouth open, for a good while: Jesus. 8ft tall. For sale. With the low asking price of $8,000. That's not an awkward addition to your living room.

I was so intrigued by this extra large rendering of Christ that I started thinking of all the things I would do with him. Sit on his shoulders at a concert? Rent a convertible and cruise down Main Street with him in the back??  Wait wait wait. I got it:

 
Take him to an Auburn game and shout: WAR EAGLE!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment