Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Let's party

In my early to mid-twenties (not that long ago!), the majority of my friends were getting married. Chris and I traveled far and wide to attend their glorious weddings. I love weddings, well....let me be frank:  I actually love the receptions. When we got married, I felt like I was always arguing: "Yeah, I get the ceremony is important and all that, but the reception! Now that's where we want to spend the most money!"

 I think the ceremony part of a wedding is an intimate moment between the two people standing together at the alter. It makes me itchy to think of all the people staring as you say such sacred words to your beloved, and on top of that, watching you kiss the first kiss as a married couple! But it's all worth it because after that comes the absolute best part: the reception. It means you get to hang out with your friends, drink cocktails, dance and eat some form of cake. It seems that as I get older the wedding invitations became more and more sparse. So when I had a chance to fly to South Dakota last weekend to celebrate at just a wedding reception,  I jumped at the chance. 
Bill and Kyle have been together for about five years, and eloped in Iowa back in May. 
They had their reception in their hometown, Mitchell, South Dakota. It was perfect:

First of all, I should mention that Mitchell is home to the "Corn Palace". 
I insisted we take a picture on the way to our destination: 
 Ta-da!

The entire outside of this building is covered in corn husks making an amazing corn mosaic!

The reception was near a lake. The weather cooperated wonderfully, and shade from the trees and breeze off the lake, instantly had us relaxed:

Friends gathered to talk, 



and eat:

  
The bruschetta was so delicious that at one point we sent someone back inside to get "community bruschetta" 
A plate almost over flowing with tomato goodness and piled high with bread. 

Of course large amounts of wine were consumed:

But we managed to stay classy, and represent Missouri with pride.
Work it!
 By the way, Lesley, every article of clothing you buy, from this moment forward, needs to be 
that fantastic shade of hot pink. Love it. 

Speeches were given, toasting the couple: 

Hi Ryan, lovely speech!

 I loved the simple elegance of these wild flowers in mason jars, the flowers covered the hillsides of South Dakota, making it look like a fake picture:

   Cork screws were the party favors. I loved mine, but quickly realized I didn't want to be tackled by a TSA agent for trying to carry it onto a plane, and begrudgingly had to leave it behind.

Billy, Kyle, and Me. 

I should add that Chris and I left our house Saturday morning at 4:30 AM to catch my 7:05 flight. Then the very next day, Sunday, I caught a 1:10 PM flight home with a 4 hour lay-over in the Minneapolis, Minnesota airport. If you would like to know the best places to get a quick bite, sneak in a nap or buy some starbucks in the Minneapolis airport, I'm your girl. I did manage to land safely back in Tulsa Sunday night, but exhausted.

However, I shouldn't complain too much because if I hadn't been on the exact flight I was on (heading to my four hour layover in Minnesota),  I would have never got to see this beauty of a hair-style:


You stay classy South Dakota!

No comments:

Post a Comment