Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Last Saturday:

When Chris and I were in college, he would often say before a baseball game: "well, we have to go early, and work on the field." This phrase had no meaning to me, and I found it just plain annoying. Work on the field? What the heck does that even mean?! It's a baseball field with dirt and grass. What could you possibly have to do? Boy was I an idiot.

If Chris had to work on the field in college, he REALLY has to work now, as a coach. Countless Saturdays are spent mowing, spreading dirt, tying down windscreens in the outfield, or raking home plate and the pitcher's mound, just to name a few. He FINALLY took my advice and had the players stay after practice for a 'work day.'




Can you see the anxious anticipation and excitement in his player's faces? 
Me neither, but they seem listening with rapt attention!

Once the duties were assigned, the boys got to work:
Here is my brother, Andrew, and a couple of his teammates working their hardest on home plate. 
Don't ask me what they're doing, I see a rake, a shovel and some kind of heavy plate thing (roo said it's a tamp- go figure) ....and they all seem to be doing something different from one another.

 Being a baseball player requires numerous skills: flexibility....

....brute strength...
...and dexterity (they are attaching that with wires). 

I should mention there were plenty of dads (including my own) out there working, that Saturday:
Hey! Get to work fellas!

After a hard day's work, Chris realized his check-list of "Things to Work on at the Baseball Field" was complete, and gathered the boys:
I'm imagining he said: "Good work, gentlemen! Now, don't all rush at once, but the moms brought food for all of you...." I'm guessing nothing else was heard after that, because all of the boys felt extreme hunger and their ears perked up at the mention of food: 

FOOD!? WHERE?!

Here it is boys!
Gee, do you think they're hungry?!
 Even Chris got in on the eating action! Good choice on the ketchup, honey!

After a hard day's work:
I said: "Now that all the work is done on the field, can we please go home at start our weekend?"

Chris' response: "Sure baby! Just let me do one last little thing..."
I'm beginning to truly see: A coach's work is NEVER done!
 P.S. Thanks to Missy W. for the fantastic pictures...you know I was too busy supervising to take any! 


No comments:

Post a Comment