Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Strawberry fields for Trevor......

The other day we were listening to some classic tunes on the radio when  "Drift Away", the classic  Doobie Brothers version, graced our ears. If you don't know this beloved hippie song, the chorus sings: "Ohhh give me the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away....." I realized, as we were rocking out to this hit, that I still sing the wrong version.  For the longest time, I really thought the lyrics said: "Ohhh give me the Beach Boys and feed my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll...." 


Why the Doobie Brothers needed the Beach Boys to feed their souls is beyond me, but I started thinking....what other great songs have been butchered by us mere mortals? What I found was nothing short of wonderfulSunday, while Chris was zoning out to football, I used my artistic skills to explore the notion of misheard lyrics:



Did you know that the Bee Gee's disco hit, 'Stayin' Alive', often gets mistaken for:
"Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Steak and a knife! Steak and a knife!"

You guys are so silly! The Beatles song says 'she's got a TICKET to ride'! Not 'a CHICKEN to ride'!



Apparently the 70's were abundant with misheard lyrics, because Abba's 'Dancing Queen' lyrics  '...feel the beat of the tambourine' gets mistaken for  '....feel the beat of the tangerine.' I decided if you wanted to hear the beat of the tangerine, it would probably look like this:
The banana wanted to name their band 'Fruit cakes', but the tangerine like the sound of 'Runts' better.....

And some people in the world think the well known Aerosmith song, 'Dude Looks Like a Lady' is REALLY saying:
"Ya! Ya! Dooo the cyclone lady! " Isn't she classy-such a lady!

And finally, a recent song. One that I was personally singing incorrectly for months, by Adele. When SHE was crooning: "Should I give up? Or should I just keep chasing pavement?" I was crooning:
"Should I give up? Or should I just keep chasing paper?"

This is a fun game, isn't it?!






















4 comments:

  1. *burning out up here with new cologne*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dirty deeds....dunder chief

      Kelly

      Delete
  2. Rian used to sing "pudding in the middle" when it should have been " running with the devil". Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Benatar- Hit Me with your Best Shot was "Hit me with your bed child" in my mind for years...... Yes, I was young and shouldn't have been listening to Pat Bentar. I blame your mother for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete