Thursday, December 8, 2011

I think I went to Willy Wonka's house....

There is a 'so incredible it will blow your mind' secret place located in St. Louis, Missouri. Actually I don't think it's a secret, but everyone I've asked about it always says: "Now just WHAT are you talking about?" And I say: "EXACTLY!"

When you're in downtown St. Louis, you're already in an appreciative mood because of the beautiful architecture and rich history. It looks like this:
 
The guys and I are walking to a restaurant in this shot. I promise, Andrew WAS in St. Louis with us, but he is very popular, and had many fans to attend to. However, notice the very metropolitan area we're in?

Little did we know that just a few streets over a place that was a cross between Narnia, Hogwarts, Willy Wonka's chocolate factory,  and the World's Fair was awaiting us to explore its deepest depths. What's the name of this magical wonderland, you ask? CITY MUSEUM. Don't let the name fool you.

We found a place to park, and as we were walking up to CITY MUSEUM, our eyes feasted on this sight:
This is the outside. COVERED with ramps, ladders, tunnels, TWO airplanes, a castle turret, a fire truck, and a bonfire complete with marshmallows. 

When we walked into CITY MUSEUM, I was delightfully overwhelmed by all awesomeness:
Wait- is this real? Or is that man in a BRIGHT yellow shirt about to tell me I'm dreaming and then turn into a cat or something?!?

 After pinching myself in sensitive areas that shouldn't be pinched, it was decided I was most certainly NOT dreaming....so we went to work in the EnChAnTeD cAvEs (that writing is meant to denote whimsy). Exploring the man-made caves was a bit daunting. It was fairly dark in there and you never knew where a tunnel would take you, if  it would get smaller or if it would ever end. 
This was a very small dark tunnel. I used my camera flash to see where it would lead. Immediately after this picture, I quickly (frantically) crawled out backwards saying: "Nope! Nope! Not happening. Turn around! Go back! Go back!"

Now this is more my speed, lots of room: 
You can't tell but, those jagged spikes are actually dinosaur teeth. Yup, you read right, DINOSAURS!

My brother Christian has a true skill for climbing and fitting through tight spaces. He was in heaven: 
Ahhh! Look out! There is a Cave Monster behind you!!! Or pushy 3 year old.

After thoroughly exploring the CaVeS, we discovered the stairs to the TEN STORY SLIDE. We climbed for what felt like hours and finally reached the summit.  We had some time while waiting in line to reflect on the awesomeness that is CITY MUSEUM, and discuss how to re-create it in our backyard. Many ideas were thrown around, but somehow my suggestion of adding a mermaid pool was shot down....not cool.

This is at the top of the 10 stories looking down, pretty cool right!?

My mom and I, after looking down at the spiral stair case.....
I almost said: "Hold me mommy! I don't wanna goooo!"
but I remembered I really didn't want to walk ALL the way down the stairs so I got brave and did what any sensible girl would do: 
...and made her go first.

The ride down wasn't that bad.....if you don't mind careening around a spiral slide for ten stories:
Dad obviously liked it. I'm pretty sure on his way down he yelled: "SEE YA SUCKAS!"

We all made it down the slide of death in one piece, and worked our way back through the EnChAnTeD cAvEs with only one emergency along the way: 
Christian! A giant fish just ate you! Get out of there!

I got really excited because I thought SURELY this was a time machine hiding in St. Louis, ready to transport me to all kinds of fascinating places past and future....
.....it wasn't. 

It may not have time travel, but CITY MUSEUM did show us some other cool things like:
Don't mind me, just climbing an indoor tree-house. LIKE A BOSS.
and
It really did have a lot of mirth, mystery and mayhem....AND a circus. Yes, a circus. What are we holding? Oh just a beer CITY MUSEUM legally sold us! This place is paradise!
An art center with pottery, painting, chalk drawing and paper mache? Yes, please!
I know what you're thinking, reader: "No way this is all in one place! She somehow transported me to a dream she had!"  I am here to tell you that IT IS REAL (at least that is what Chris tells me) and IT'S WONDERFUL!


I don't know why the creators of this magic-land decided to put a bank vault in it, but I'm glad they did...
because now I can crack a safe....like a true professional (lie.).

The outside was just as cool as the inside: 
HELLLOOOO DOWN THERE!! You look like tiny ants! I wanted to spit, but Chris said no....

We're just hanging out climbing stuff...no big deal. 

So if you're ever in St. Louis make sure you make it a PRIORITY to get yourself over to CITY MUSEUM! You won't regret it. Be careful though, because when you leave, you'll want to put this in your backyard: 
Hello my loyal subjects! Thank you for being so faithful now GET OFF MY LAWN!
and it might end up looking like this: 
Actually, if you can achieve this give me a call so you can make one in my backyard. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment