Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thank you Canada

Even though people have used a stick to push an object towards a goal for sport for thousands of years; it wasn't until 1875 that the first ice hockey game was played in Montreal, Cananda.  What I would like to know is who said (Insert Canadian accent): "I think it's aboot time we put on skates and played this game on ice, eh?"

I have been recreational ice skating a few times in my life. I thought I looked like this graceful swan:

YAY! I'm skating!
Only to discover my ice skating skills were more on par with Elaine from Seinfeld, on the dance floor

Not pretty, but you go Elaine!

I decided a long time ago that I would leave ice skating to the professionals...

Last year, over Thanksgiving, the fam went down to Dallas to watch a Cowboys game (chhhiiieeeffsss), and shop. While eating at House of Blues (I had Cobb Salad-don't ask me how I remember that- and 3/4 of Chris' fries) we noticed a steady stream of people walking by with Dallas Stars jerseys on. Letting curiosity get the best of us, we bravely followed the herd, bought tickets from a scalper,entered the arena and it was then that I was formally introduced to the joy and awesomeness that is a live hockey game. 

Ever since that fateful night I've been jonesing for a hockey game. I even tried to watch it on t.v.-then I remembered I hate watching televised sporting events on t.v. unless it's the Lakers. So needless to say, my obsession was getting impatient with me. ENTER: The St. Louis Blues. Since we were in St. Louis to watch our High School team win a state championship anyways, we zipped on over to the Blues vs. Flames game that night. 

My face in this picture does not do justice for the way I'm feeling on the inside: IMPATIENT! 
"No time for pictures! Let's GO to the game already!" At least we are fan-ready in our blue outfits!

 This is Christian's face after I've asked him when the cab is coming for the millionth time....
"I DON'T KNOW! NOW SHUT UP AND HAVE A BEER"

Chris was excited too, but he shows excitement through smiles and patience: 
Um honey? You look really cute and all, and I really love you but WHERE IS OUR CAB!? We are going to be late!!

We got dropped off a little before the stadium and dad decided we needed a family picture in front of the decked out cardinal arch: 
Right now I'm saying: NO TIME FOR SMILES! WE HAVE TO GET TO THE GAME!!

Eventually, we did make it to the game so I could stop freaking out and making my family crazy...
Christian is yelling: "WEEEE DID IT!!!"

I realized we may have made it to our destination, but there was a small problem of navigating through the hordes of fans to get to our seats: 
and this is just the beer line...where is the rink? I need to hear the slap of the sticks, the thunk of the puck hitting the goalie glove, the slam of a body against the wall...c'mon guys!

FINALLY, we made it to our seats:
Happy fellas.

Just an FYI, reader, when you get a ticket last minute, your view tends to look like this:
and this: 
but we didn't care because we were at a HOCKEY game....aboot time too, eh!?

So for now, the hockey obsessed beast that lives inside me is tamed (not for long...).

The Blues were nice enough to get a victory AND wish us a  

Oh Thank you! To you as well, Blues Hockey team! I love you so much, you're so awesome! I'm going to go to all of your games! Get your autographs! Buy all your merchandise! and then I'll steal the Zamboni-wait, what!? No I didn't say that last bit.....
Ok fine. I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment