Saturday, April 14, 2012

Divined by the universe....

Last week marked the day ten years ago that I was a senior sitting in my High School journalism class. I had completed my assignments, was doodling on my notepad and the ADD was kicking in. Bored, I asked my brilliant journalism teacher, Mrs. Baxley, if I could go to the bathroom. In our High School, the closest bathrooms are next to the weight room. This seems like an insignificant detail, but it is crucial.

You see, Chris was in weights class that fateful day, and they were timing 20 yard sprints in the hallway- by the very bathroom I was wasting time in! Timing the sprints was a 2 man job, and a clipboard was shoved in my hand to write down the sprint times (actually I was standing there talking and was told to get back to class, or make myself useful).  Chris, being the stud he is, was on track to break the record (which he still holds- no big deal) and stayed after the bell rang to make the record  his own. I stayed to write down his time.

On my way to return the clipboard (and Chris' return to the locker room), an innocent conversation took place that would have lasting consequences, for both of us:

Me: So. Do you have a date for prom yet?
Chris: No, not yet. What about you?
Me: Nope.
Chris: Uh...Do....you...wanna....go....?
Me: Sure!

Ten years ago today, Chris and I went on our last first date, and have been partyin' ever since....
Isn't he handsome!?
God bless Senioritis...and ADD.....and sprints in the hallway...
and Mrs. Baxley for letting me go to the bathroom....





No comments:

Post a Comment