Monday, October 15, 2012

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

Have you ever seen Romy and Michele's High School reunion? It's a totally cheesy/weird movie about two girls, who were unpopular in High School, going back to their 10 year reunion. They lie to make their lives seem better than they are. Hilarity and hi-jinxs ensue and they are caught in their lies, but in the end they do get redemption.


Growing up, this movie gave me unrealistic expectations about my High School Reunion.
They had a huge party, awards were given, the popular mean girls of High School were actually miserable, and they drove off in a limo.

Our High School reunion was scheduled last May over Memorial Day weekend. Everyone ended up fighting over the date, the ticket price, what to eat, where to go and whether or not alcohol should be allowed (how is this a question?). Our poor class President probably lost 5 years of her life trying to plan the stupid thing. Chris and I already had plans for a big Memorial day party at our lake (you can read about it here), and didn't make it. As it turned out, quite a few people couldn't go because of the holiday, so we decided to throw a quick get together this Fall for those who still wanted to get together.

The plan was to grill out at the High School, watch the football game, and possibly go out on the town afterwards. Then the rain came, and rained on our parade (reunion?) plan. I quickly called a local pizza joint that can handle a bigger crowd and made reservations and alerted everyone of the change. The only bummer was a lot of people had kids performing before the game, and had our BBQ plan worked out, they could have come, but alas, the pizza joint was too far away and they couldn't be in two places at once.

We still had a fun crowd show up:







The girls:

I would have got a picture of the boys, but they just aren't as good looking....

and a great many conversations were had:




One thing I have learned from watching movies like Romy and Michele's High School reunion, is there is always some love interest the main character didn't have the guts to say anything to in High School. They are always hoping to magically get together with the object of their affection, or at least see them miserable....

Fortunately, I got to marry the object of my High School affection. I didn't have to come to my class reunion wondering if he'd be there, and if he would be happy to see me, or miserable and fat! I say annoying things to Chris, like: "We aren't like those sad people in High School reunion movies!! We stayed together! Aren't you so lucky!? Let's take a picture to prove that we had a GREAT class reunion with no unanswered questions or unresolved feelings for each other! Yay, for us!" 

Take 1:



Chris and I were ready to have our picture taken again, when my friend's little girl wanted me to hold her. Not minding if she was in the picture, I picked her up only to have her pull my shirt way down. Quickly grabbing my shirt, this picture was taken:


I showed the picture to my High School crush and said: "Hey you married it pal!'



2 comments:

  1. hahahaha. My 10 year reunion is next year...where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome. Thanks for posting them. I had a great time and hope something similar can be set up again some day.

    ReplyDelete