Friday, August 31, 2012

Siblings.....

We were watching home videos last night, and I realized something: I should have been an only child. The first video was from Christmas of 1987. I was a happy, sweet, center of attention child. My dad held me on his shoulders while I put the angel on top of the tree, my mom held me in her lap and snuggled me, and my dad used the video camera to ask me important questions about my life like my favorite Christmas song (Jingle Bells).



 Cut to the next home tape: Thanksgiving of 1991 at my grandparent's house. Aside from the fact that I'm older, and constantly beg my dad to "let me hold the camera", there is a new addition. A boy. Now three years old. Brown hair and green eyes. Answers to the name of Christian. I begged for a sister, but he arrived in the Fall of '88.  Here is a video of a video, him playing with a nut-cracker while saying: "Honey, I'm home" over and over.


I can remember being extremely offended anytime Christian 'copied me' when we were kids.  My dad  would say: "He copies you because he loves you and thinks you're so cool!" I didn't care, nor was I flattered.

Then he got older, got cooler than me and stopped copying me. However, I still notice some similarities that could be considered copying ......

like how we posed with an Elvis statue: 



or our love of Chris: 


and the lakers: 

and sombreros:
'ole!'
or even how we sit when taking a birthday shot while my dad cheers us on in the background:  



But I'm starting to wonder if it's not really copying. Maybe, just maybe, when you've known someone their whole life, and practically almost your own entire life, and lived in the same house for the majority of that time.....




......you're bound to share some similar characteristics......

.
Right?!

......nah, impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment